Yesterday’s silent Father’s Day march against stop and frisk in New York City was well attended and, if you go by Twitter, life-changing. But if reformers are interested in change they should revisit some of their liberal arguments against the policy that notched 700,000 stops–nearly 90 percent innocent–of residents mainly in minority neighborhoods last year.
Tag Archives: stop and frisk
Leave a comment | tags: activism, conservative, constitution, current-events, father's day, heather mac donald, kill bill vol 1, latinos, liberal, new york city, politics, silent march, stop and frisk | posted in Criminal Justice, New York, Race
Big city news this week is that ahead of an upcoming Father’s Day march that will likely be the largest public gathering against stop-and-frisk to date, mayor Michael Bloomberg defended the NYPD’s policy this past Sunday at a Brooklyn church. For non-NYC readers, data drives the criticism. Last year’s numbers showing the gap between all stops and guilty stops reflect a decade of growing concern: of roughly 700,000 stops in mainly black and Latino neighborhoods, 90 percent were innocent. I’ve been covering stop and frisk since last fall and while Bloomberg’s address was the news hook, a more inconspicuous quote–one typical of how race talk can undermine both the pro and con stop and frisk positions–caught my eye. The church’s pastor, pointing out that it is wrong that so many of those stopped are black, says,
“We’re not the only ones carrying guns.”
That’s a curious construction, “we,” as I’m willing to bet that 90-year-old Bishop A.D. Lyons’ weapon of choice is a Bible, not a Glock.
- RT @NYTNational: For the third time in a week, the trial of a police officer in a fatal shooting has ended without a conviction https://t.c… 16 hours ago
- RT @Trushar: Great principles of writing by Chekov, referenced by @JacquiB #ivohsummit17 https://t.co/uBGICminko 17 hours ago
- RT @ivohMedia: Another beautiful morning begins at @ivohMedia's annual #media summit and retreat. Watch #ivohSummit17 for details today. ht… 17 hours ago
- reaction to “having it all” shows need to vet our women leaders
- r.i.p. nora ephron, although i hardly knew ye
- anne-marie slaughter reveals that women still can’t have it all. shocker.
- finding the white folks in First Lady Michelle Obama’s family tree
- heather mac donald vs weak liberal arguments for stop and frisk reform